PostHeaderIcon Great Tew Circular 2

wp01gt2
  • Start 5.4 miles from Bloxham
  • Length of walk: 4.6 miles  (7.4 k)
  • no steep gradients
  • dog friendly

This information is mainly drawn from Wikipedia:(See also the walk – Great Tew Circular 1)
Evidence of early settlement include a Bronze Age barrow south and Roman mosaic floors from the 3C.
The village was founded in Anglo-Saxon times and its ownership was linked to St Albans Abbey
Unlike neighbouring Lttle Tew it had its own church and in Old English Cyrictiwa means “Church Tew
William the Conqueror granted the manor to his step-brother and it is recorded amongst Odo’s estates in the Domesday Book. The present parish church dates back to Norman times but has been substantially rebuilt since then.
The cottages and houses, mostly thatched, date back to the 17C and are built from the local ironstone from the Great Tew quarry. Look out for canework figures in the old school yard.
In the late 1700s the estate was bought by George Stratton, who had made a fortune in the East India Company. He had the dilapidated manor house demolished and engaged garden designer John Loudon who contributed much to the delightful appearance of the village and of Great Tew Park.
In 1815-1816 the son of the Birmingham manufacturer Matthew Boulton bought the Great Tew estate. Innovations in the middle of the 19C included a saw-mill powered by a beam engine of which the engine house and tall chimney still survive.
In 1914 the family died without heirs and for fifty years its properties became unoccupied and derelict.
In 1962 Major Eustace Robb inherited the estate and declared he would restore its prosperity but little improvement was seen but its subsequent owners, the Johnson family, have worked hard to restore the village.

GPS Data

Waypoint N E N degrees N Minutes W degrees W Minutes
GT01 51.962567 -1.426592 51 57.75402 1 25.59552
GT02 51.956644 -1.422558 51 57.39864 1 25.35348
GT03 51.950666 -1.423073 51 57.03996 1 25.38438
GT04 51.945323 -1.425648 51 56.71938 1 25.53888
GT05 51.940932 -1.421871 51 56.45592 1 25.31226
GT06 51.941143 -1.415262 51 56.46858 1 24.91572
GT07 51.947016 -1.416292 51 56.82096 1 24.97752
GT08 51.956326 -1.41758 51 57.37956 1 25.0548
GT09 51.954951 -1.409426 51 57.29706 1 24.56556
GT10 51.96225 -1.407537 51 57.735 1 24.45222

Route Description

  1. Start from car park. Head down to the village pub and head to the end of New Road.
  2. Head onto a footpath more or less opposite the end of New Road heading South
  3. Arrive near Tracey Barn Farm and take a left turn (South-East)
  4. Hit a farm road and head East onto a road opposite Lady Grove. Turn left (North) here.
  5. Arrive near Tracey Barn Farm and take a left turn (South-East)
  6. On the right is a turning to Beaconsfield farm. This is where mosaic floors from a is a Roman Villa were found.
  7. Back North along the lane until you hit the Little Tew to Ledwell Road. Turn right (East) towards Ledwell.
  8. Arrive at a footpath on the left across Great Tew Park. Take this North
  9. The footpath intersects with a bridleway. Turn left onto the bridleway heading West.
  10. Keep heading West
  11. Arrive back in Great Tew and head for the car park.

Google Map

Click here to see a Google satellite map of this walk.

Ordnance survey maps

You need OS Map 191
You can get an online OS map here.

os191
gt2_01wp
gt2_02wp
gt2_03wp
gt2_05wp
gt2_07bwp
gt2_07cwp

Leave a Comment

page=single